Re: Re: Re: Effect of Bore Size

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 18, 2003 at 15:45:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Effect of Bore Size posted by Ed on November 18, 2003 at 15:25:49:

I'm not sure "best of all worlds" exists. At least I hope it doesn't.

The 2341 seems rather more efficient than a 3301. It's more resonant and responsive, and goes where you point it with less effort. I find that the good ones invite you to keep playing them. I didn't have that reaction with the VMI (or the Miraphone 1291, or even the Willson 3100), though I could find no specific fault. I think it has to do with the feedback it gives you, though I admit this might not be as important out front.

The 186 can put out a lot of sound, to be sure. The new King, though, seems to me more efficient than the old King.

My York Master is about the size of a Miraphone 186, and it has a .750 bore. I find it has a bit more dynamic range than the Miraphone, and also a more colorful sound (by a small but noticeable margin). But despite its larger size, I'm not sure I can play it any louder than a good example of the new Kings. I have compared it side-by-side to an excellent example of an old King (owned by my wife's uncle) and the York has more bottom to the sound and much better valves. But is it louder? I'm not so sure.

Rick "thinking loudness is difficult to assess from the player's perspective" Denney

Follow Ups: