Re: Re: Re: Shipping Woes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on November 18, 2003 at 09:58:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Shipping Woes posted by Duneland on November 18, 2003 at 00:58:26:

Transfers of material is where the damage all happens.

Being formerly in the wholesale/special parts business here is what I always used to tell customers:

"You need Item X in one week? You know it is a bit fragile. Do you want to ship it UPS Red (25-30 dollars)?"

Their response:

"No."

My reply:

"This item cost $1500. You will be paying more in sales tax than it costs to ship the item UPS red."

Their response:

"I didn't think of it that way. But does it guarantee anything other than faster delivery?"

I say:

"Yeah. It guarantees it only gets 'touched' a few times. When shipping UPS ground, it gets 'touched' dozens of times. The more 'touches' also increases more 'drops'."

Usually they agree.

By the way, UPS also agrees. I used to deal with them a LOT. They really do stink.

However....

I still have issues with "Common Carriers" (Freight Lines). They are not very freindly with the handling of material in their hubs either. Not to mention that some person of questionable mastery of the English language could easily set a pallet of material on top of the tuba shipping carton just to save space on the transfer truck.

So....

I have arrived that the easiest way to deal with tubas is to use Amtrak. While they have also had reports of damage, they deal with far fewer items. They also have very limited transfers of material, and even when a transfer occurs, the horn still might not leave the railcar. If nothing else they at least have affordable insurance and the people seem reasonable to deal with. On top of that, the prices are extremely reasonable ($50 range). There only issue is finding a depot close enough to be convenient.

Matt G

Follow Ups: