Re: CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lookit it this way on November 17, 2003 at 00:38:00:

In Reply to: CC vs. BBb posted by wondering on November 16, 2003 at 22:29:46:

Do you own a horn now? Just practice it till you can play the shit out of it and it won't be a big deal whether its BBflat or CC. But, if you want some perspective.....

the Tubenet webmaster plays CC, when he's not burdened on the field with a sarrusaphone

the orchestra tuba players in chicago, san francisco, new york, philadelphia, los angeles, seattle, saratoga [sorry I had to sneak that one in ;^}] all play CC tuba as their main orchestral horn.

the top three pros in every recent orchestral audition in the united states played CC tubas as their big tubas (I am being kind here, doubtless every semifinalist used CC)

you wanna play orchestral tuba? play CC. you wanna spend hours on the field lugging a horn on your shoulder? Stick to BBflat. Own a good horn now? Stick with it whatever it is. Or buy one of mine ;^}

you wanna sound foolish like Brandon, or have people mock you because you call yourself "tubamaster"? Stick to BBflat.

Don't wanna buy a CC because you're afraid you won't "get it"? Try changing mouthpieces. Weekly. after 3-6 months of that it won't matter what you play.

wanna play british brass band? BBflat. or Eflat if you have good high chops. Either way, learn to read treble clef.

Wanna truly know in your life that to you its really no big deal? gain the facility you'd need to play every tuba there is in every key. Be able to play them all good enough that you won't have to think twice about it. Then you'll probably choose CC. and you'll think its no big deal.

Follow Ups: