Re: clip-on mic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on November 16, 2003 at 17:44:11:

In Reply to: clip-on mic posted by ken k on November 15, 2003 at 14:18:10:

I do a lot of gigs with bands like this; I use an AKG clip mike designed for brass instruments. I don't know the model number, but I've had it for over 10 years so they probably don't make that one anymore anyway. Whatever, but make sure it's not too big and has a good even response in the low register.

It's a condenser mike similar (or identical) to the one mentioned below. It comes with a belt pack to set the level and provide phantom power. It is a tiny mic the size of a pencil eraser set on the end of a thin gooseneck.

My technique when playing into a mic is to crank the mic level/amplification right up and play as light as possible - this allows you to keep going for a very long time in a long set of non-stop bassline playing. I feel that condensers are especially good for this due to their low signal-to-noise level and ability to respond to low-level SPL fluctuations.

I've got a couple of demo cd's coming out soon, if you're into this stuff, send me a private email and we could trade tapes.

Cheers,

Jeff Miller
London

Follow Ups: