Mid size big sound?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on November 16, 2003 at 10:51:45:

I am strictly an (aging) amateur, play a Conn 20/21J, and use it for just about everything. I just got back into playing last year after a lay off of over 35 years. I play with a couple community bands, plus dixie, etc. I also have a Miraphone 1270 and a Yamaha 321. I will use the big Conn whenever practical. It is (for me) easier to play, and more capable than the smaller horns.

But, I am looking for a smaller tuba (easier to haul than my 20J) that will still have a big round sound for small ensemble work, or for when hauling the big Conn is complicated by the physical environment where I will be playing. I find that the Yamaha 321, in its case, is as much, or more, trouble to haul as is the Conn with its two piece case. The little Mirafone and I just don't seem to work well together.

I also have to use a top action horn because of physical limitations. And I am not supposed to be lifting much weight. I haul the Conn on a a hand truck, but when steps are involved it gets a bit rough.

I have been looking around for a smaller, big sounding horn, with upright valves. Not much success on even finding suggestions concering a make/model that would do the job. It seems that top action valves are really out of favor these days.

A really GOOD used horn is as acceptable as a new one, and a dealer that had what I need and would take my Mirafone and Yamaha in trade would really fill the bill.

So, any thoughts on what might fill the bill would be most appreciated.

Follow Ups: