Re: Listening...instead of Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on November 14, 2003 at 06:34:34:

In Reply to: Listening...instead of Playing posted by Tubist on November 13, 2003 at 21:23:14:

I know what you mean. I've been guilty of the same feelings on more than one occasion!

I have thought about this before, and have a couple of comments:

1) Perhaps the biggest part of growth as a musician is listening to music and learning something from it. So, when you're sitting there listening to some clarinet choir, find something you like about it, such as the harmony, or the phrasing, or the way someone articulates, or perhaps the way that someone alters the color of a note as its chord function changes.

Also, when sitting out a movement or piece in an ensemble, we have the very best seats in the house for listening to our colleagues interpreting music by many talented composers. Use the time to learn more about the craft of composition and ensemble writing (and playing). Do you hear an interesting sound? What's happening to make that sound? If the mood suddenly changes, what did the composer do to achieve that effect? How high/low/fast/etc can an oboe play? Which instrument sounds better on the third of a particular chord, a clarinet or a glockenspiel?

All of these things are in front of us when we hear decent music, and by using your listening as a learning experience, you can calm your antsiness by knowing that you are actually doing a form of musical practice and development even as you sit without a tuba.

2) Sometimes when you're really busy playing, you need a break from music. If you occasionally feel sleepy or distracted while listening, don't worry too much about it. If it starts happening more than occasionally, refer to comment number 1.

Once again, just my thoughts on this. I hope they're useful to somebody.

Jeff Miller

Follow Ups: