Re: Re: Hirsbrunner Euphonium vs. Willson/Besson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on November 13, 2003 at 02:20:01:

In Reply to: Re: Hirsbrunner Euphonium vs. Willson/Besson posted by Phil Golson on November 12, 2003 at 13:37:31:

I'd like to think that in being where I am in my playing, (I'm a senior in College, expecting to go to graduate school next year) that a horn switch while not 100% vital, would make my playing life a little easier, and a little more fulfilling.

I find the tone on the Yamaha to be somewhat brighter than I was able to coax out of a Willson when I played it. Also, I noticed that the response on the Willson is significantly better, in addition to much better intonation, especially where the first valve is concerned. Also, the valve action on the Willson is noticeable shorter, which I find is a whole lot more comfortable.

I definitely intend to do my homework before making this purchase, as the instrument is definitely coming out of my pocket, much like the one I'm playing now. I am planning a trip to WWBW, but they don't carry hirsbrunner horns, although I suppose I could drive to detroit as well and visit custom. I thought I'd get to try the hirsbrunner out during midwest, but alas, I'll be out of town doing an internship. Whee!

I suppose if things like this were easy, they wouldn't end up being quite as fulfilling when you feel like you've made the right choice, eh?

Thanks for your responses, they're much appreciated.

Mike

Follow Ups: