Re: Re: Re: If you only had $6500 or so to spend...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on November 11, 2003 at 10:56:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: If you only had $6500 or so to spend... posted by Scott Norberg on November 09, 2003 at 17:56:10:

Well, I don't have the range of experience that others here do, because of my newness to the instrument. However, I do play in a brass band, an orchestra, and a quintet, so the "instrument range" is there if not the length of experience.
I'm migrating, to my surprise, to my 3/4 CC Miraphone for just about all of the above; the 3/4 MW F just does not have the low range punch I need (with me playing it; an expert F player would have better mileage.) In many of the brass band pieces, if the Eb tuba part does not go above F or G in the staff, I just use the CC; it is more solid sounding. For Eb solos in the brass band, I set down the CC (sometimes halfway through the piece) and pick up the F, which just sings in the high register.
In the quintet, so far what we've done works a lot better on the CC; especially some of the more energetic Christmas music that has active tuba parts that supply much of the interest.
If I could play a large piston F (can't; small hands) or if I had a good 3+1 Eb compensator, I might use my bass tuba for all the above, but I wonder if either of these has the low range (below F in the staff) depth of sound that my CC has.
MA

Follow Ups: