Re: Re: Re: Re: Chicago/Bernstein/Shosty 7

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on November 30, 2002 at 19:03:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Chicago/Bernstein/Shosty 7 posted by B.G. on November 30, 2002 at 16:27:13:

I liked the piece just for the fact that the 3rd movement wasn't to pedantic. It was very schizo bordering on paranoia, almost like someone constantly lookig over their shoulder while running. It drives me batty listening to it. My sleeper goes to Haitink/Concertcebouw, a stunning reading with some nice tuba playing. I agree with your assessment of the Dallas recording. I listen to it for the tuba playing(quite wonderful)but, sadly, not for the intrinsic musical value. Always good to banter. BTW, scored the buy of the week at Wherehouse here in Sin City. Got the complete Nutcracker with SLSO(1985/Slatkin)on cd for $1.99, Talk about some GREAT tuba playing. Pokorny plays so well I was yelling at the speakers. Now, that recording is a keeper. And, speaking of Mvarinsky. I just busted out my 1960 Tsaick. 4 with Leningrad. WOW, I love the trumpets and horns in the opening. How about the tempo on the last movement....YIKES!!!!!

Follow Ups: