Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verdi Requiem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 29, 2002 at 10:24:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verdi Requiem posted by Steve Marcus on November 29, 2002 at 06:55:56:

For one thing, speedy technique. I know that today's trombone players have great facility but, all things being equal, I'm willing to bet that a valved instrument can play faster than a slided one every time. If you ever get a chance, take a look at some of Verdi's operas and see what he's written for the cimbasso. Many of those operas, Rigoletto for one, have such extremely technical parts in them that I'd be surprised if a slided instrument could execute them consistently. I think this is probably the only advantage the cimbasso has over a slided contrabass trombone. I've never played one but what I do know about them tells me that in most other respects they are very similar instruments. You're quite correct in pointing out that the timbre and flexibility (range) would be totally comparable. I think the facility would be the issue. As another poster pointed out, the trombonists of that era were mostly playing on valved instruments. I always get a grin at some point during the operas we play when the trombonists are faced with some ridiculous technical passage that was conceived for a valved instrument. I'm lucky enough to be working with some really good players here but you should see the work they have to do to get those passages out. My impression is that the lack of valves makes a pretty big difference.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: