Re: Re: What's the lowest non-pedal you can hit?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jude on November 28, 2002 at 12:51:59:

In Reply to: Re: What's the lowest non-pedal you can hit? posted by Theory-schmeory on November 27, 2002 at 15:37:20:

Answers:
1) Not very often
2) In my case quite a lot!
3) Again, not very often, but I do not want to run the risk of being fired by a conductor that wants the written note played and might suggest that players who have to change octaves due to their own inability shouldn't be working professionaly!

So many times, my students ask me why I practice playing in extreme ranges and they invariably apply a similar logic as yours. "Why practice playing something that you aren't going to need if the literature doesn't demand it." My response is that if you can play beyond what the literature demands, then the demands of the literature will be easier to accomplish. In short, I don't care how many times the notes are written, people should extend themselves beyond normal expectations if only for the secondary benefits that other posters have talked about. Besides, I know some conductors that will occasionally ask for parts to be played down an octave because they like the "presence" that the lower octave brings to certain cadences, etc...

Follow Ups: