Re: Re: Re: in your dreams

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on November 27, 2002 at 15:01:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: in your dreams posted by Rick Denney on November 27, 2002 at 14:42:48:

Allright,
Let me defend my opinion. I might have over sized the group. However, my main recommendation, the Meinl Weston Fafner, is a very flexible, nimble, agile, etc. horn built for contrabass playing especially in Wagner which requires extremely sensitive ppp playing as well as the fff stuff. For most practical purposes, the band should buy King 2341's, Miraphone 186's (not 191's), or Meinl Weston 25's. Remember also, that the person has to match all four horns. That means a consistency across the brand, so it really defaults to the Mirafone and Meinl-Weston line, in my opinion, as the most consistent from horn to horn.

Even the biggest tubas can be played softly. Even easier at times than the smaller horns.

I play in a "amatuer" wind group with three tubas for approx 40-45 members. One guy plays a 2155 (a BIG 4/4), me on a MW32, and the other guy could at any time bring a HUGE Conn 34J. However, we can get under the group very easily.

Just my opinion.

Matt G

Follow Ups: