Re: Euphonium Solos w/ Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Edens on November 26, 2002 at 16:19:04:

In Reply to: Euphonium Solos w/ Band posted by Jim Achenbach on November 26, 2002 at 12:23:27:

Without ever hearing your soloist play, I have no idea as to what his strengths/weaknesses/level of musical maturity are, but I will make suggestions anyway

Napoli by Herman Bellstedt

Carnival of Venice by Jean Baptiste Arban

Fantasia di Concerto by Eduardo Boccalari

Concerto per Flicorno Basso by Amilcare Ponchielli

Pantomime by Philip Sparke

Fantasia by Gordon Jacob

Symphonic Variants by James Curnow

Concerto for Euphonium by Joseph Horovitz (I know this has both brass band and orchestral accompaniment arrangements, but I am not sure about wind band)

I am a high school senior and have either played or am currently playing/learning all of these pieces; they are all wonderful solo works, however, the Curnow, Sparke, Jacob and Horovitz have the more engaging accompaniment parts. Overall, I would have to say that these are the four I would most highly recommend.

Symphonic Variants, depending on tempo taken and editing choices, can be anywhere from thirteen to nearly twenty minutes in length. The Horovitz concerto is about sixteen, the Ponchielli is about thirteen, the Jacob and the Bocalarri are roughly eleven, the Arban is seven, the Bellstedt is six and the Sparke can be anywhere from seven to nearly nine.

Recordings of all these works are availabe; Steven Mead has recorded them all, and many other soloists have recorded one or several.

I hope that I have been of some help.

John Edens

Follow Ups: