Re: Re: Levels of Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris R on November 25, 2002 at 14:59:13:

In Reply to: Re: Levels of Playing posted by TubaRay on November 25, 2002 at 11:28:29:

I agree that most judges are impressed with technique. In my senior year in high school, I auditioned for a district competition but I got first chair in the wind ensemble. The highest scoring tuba plays with the orchestra. I didn't mind I got second but I was beat by a freshman who had crap for sound but had really good technique. He could play all over the horn but he had a very small sound. My tuba instructor taught both of us and he felt I should have beat him. He doesn't practice or anything and my teacher kept yelling at him because he didn't use enough air. Most judges like to see alot of technique but usually don't know a good tuba sound when they hear it. The point is, sound is everything for low brass. That's what was always stressed to me in high school. I've always prided myself about my large sound and now my technique and facility is beginning to match it. Musicality is always important too... :)

Chris

Follow Ups: