Loans for Gigs, "Performing Artistes"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by reason below on November 23, 2002 at 19:15:40:

Do any major instrument manufacturers or retailers loan decent (read college/entry-pro) level horns for soloists or major ensemble appearances in exchange for publicity/advertising/name in a program? I own an old college euph. and have been recently invited to perform in a very public way, and the challenges of the piece require more than my horn can provide. Just how do people claim to be "performing artists" for Yam, Bess, or Wills ??

I know one possibility is to get a horn on approval, but I feel this is "grey area" at best, and not a real moral option.

I am a regular contributor to the list, but would like to air this one out anonymously to keep the discussion at-hand, particularly since it concerns not being able to afford a pro-level horn at a time when I have pro-level gigs. That tends to be a little humbling, since I'm just starting out and have grad school-related things to pay off, yet. Perhaps my story is echoed by many of you who found yourself at the cusp of your career, and not able to play the horn your skills deserved?

Thanks for whatever insight you might provide--

Follow Ups: