Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jinbao

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on November 23, 2002 at 00:59:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jinbao posted by Norm on November 22, 2002 at 23:32:58:

Good questions!

Our experience clearly indicates that before trying to make something in China you have to have the process honed to a tee, absolute process consistency, minimum (ie zero)left to worker discretion, and test test test, watch, watch, watch, check, check, check. And then do it again. And again.

That's why I sort of singled out Yamaha as a company that could pull it off. It would be really "interesting" to see what Alexander would turn out if they opened a Chinese factory. Worst of both worlds, probably since they clearly depend on artisanship and pride to put out a quality product.

I think the makers of woodworking equipment found out the same things - initially they replaced the motors on Chinese made equipment with US made motors, tested the heck out of the stuff when it showed up in the US, etc etc etc.

Frankly, I think (as I believe you were saying) that the technical abilities are easiest to improve. Future generations of Chinese engineers will get better, education (at least in high-tech meccas like Shenzhen) will improve. No question in my mind.

But there's also little question in my mind that until there's a sweeping cultural transformation that replaces the current system of graft, corruption, bribery, cheating, cutting corners, getting away with anything you can, etc. that the cultural environment will be the biggest impediment to progress.

Everybody worries about China becoming the world's greatest power in manufacturing, but I don't see that it's anywhere close to the point where it can "self-sustain".

Follow Ups: