Re: Re: Expensive Mouthpieces vs. Old Standbys

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on November 18, 2002 at 20:07:47:

In Reply to: Re: Expensive Mouthpieces vs. Old Standbys posted by Slight correction... on November 18, 2002 at 18:23:28:

Joe,

I am of the opinion that a player should play on the mouthpiece that works best for him or her no matter what the brand or price.

Having just been through this with a new horn, I can sympathize with anyone trying to find the "perfect" mouthpiece. Here's the scenario: I was not able to use the mouthpiece I had used for the past 12 years as the receiver on the new horn was larger and I didn't want to change the receiver on a brand new horn. I first bought a Dillon-Geib 3 and played it for a couple of months. Intonation and tone quality were good but not quite as I wanted. Tried a Parke-Ofenloch just to see if a heavy top mouthpiece would make a difference (at the time I had to alter the mouthpiece shank to fit the leadpipe receiver and since I'm a repairman it was relatively easy). The intonation was better and projection was improved. Just out of curiosity, I tried a Monette. I managed to talk Monette into a 10 day trial period. I was really hoping the Monette would not work due to the price. My wife heard me play, and said that's the one. Period. End of looking for a mouthpiece.

Now, did I purchase a Monette because someone said I should? I don't think so, and don't think anyone else should either. I did switch to a similar mouthpiece on my F tuba because I liked the way it sounded as well. I would never, however, tell you or anyone else that your sound would improve just because you used a __________ brand of mouthpiece. A person should use an instrument or a mouthpiece because that's what works the best and not because someone says they should.

There are a plethora of mouthpieces available. What works best for you should be what you use. If the sound is good, the intonation good, and the response good then you should use that mouthpiece.

Just my opinions.

Follow Ups: