Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Euphonium ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on November 18, 2002 at 18:28:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Euphonium ? posted by Jason on November 18, 2002 at 09:41:17:

Sorry if my tone seemed harsh, that wasnt my purpose. Just wanted to let you know that even if it is an amazing horn for 99% of the world (which I dont think the Prestige is, but that is only my opinion), you still may be in that 1% and need a different horn. I think that although a particular horn may share tendencies between players, it may also have just as many DIFFERENCES, which may sometimes negate the usefulness of those tendencies...

Lemme give u an example. I play a Willson because with it I can produce the sound I like--the sound I want to make. Now, I think the Yamaha is in some ways a better horn--I think it is definitely more consistant through the ranges--I find both the very high and very low easier to play on the Yamaha, plus I find it very in tune through the entire range. BUT, I dont play it cause I cant make the sound I want on it--so far, only a Willson has satisfied me there... So, I'd rather get a sound I want and work harder at playing than get a "worse" sound, but play easier. That is my choice.

Every horn is a compromise. You have to pick what aspects of your playing you'd compromise least and find a horn that suits that.

The "Are you Steven Mead?" thing was not meant to be insulting, it was meant to make a point. No one is Steven Mead except Steven Mead. Steven Mead plays a Besson for his reasons. Find your own reasons to play whatever it is you choose.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: