Re: sousaphone bell cover ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on November 18, 2002 at 07:37:37:

In Reply to: sousaphone bell cover ??? posted by LM on November 17, 2002 at 08:48:19:

The covers at TubaChristmas in NYC are made of what appears to be ordinary cloth, with an elastic tape sewn in around the edge. The letters appear to be simply cut out of felt and sewn on. (based on my having a sousaphone letter the last 4 years or so).

In my experience, most sousaphone bell covers are local productions, sewn typically by seamstress band parents or students. I've seen a few with elastic or stretchy fabric, but the model of the TubaChristmas bell covers is typical: ordinary fabric - cotton or polyester - with an elastic tape.

For school bands, the prime virtue of bell covers is less the uniform appearance than keeping things from being thrown into the horn at football games and parades. Many of us remember (not so fondly) the annual ritual of cleaning out the sousaphones with a high powered garden hose attached to the mouthpipe and being amazed the stuff that came out. I would bet that at least 1/4 of the objection to the sound of brass sousaphones over the years has been a function of the crud inside.

Follow Ups: