Re: Re: Re: Re: Orchestra tuning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 17, 2002 at 16:39:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Orchestra tuning posted by js on November 17, 2002 at 15:08:06:

Most of our strings are part time and play on pretty lousy instruments that do not hold pitch well at all.

Most of our solo seat players (winds and brass) are full time and play well in tune for the most part.

Since our MD does not hear the extreme flatness of the strings (but aparently has our electronic keyboard tuned to match the strings - 20 cents flat - go figure...I check this at each rehearsal) it falls to the soloists to come towards the largest group of players pitch-wise. It is an extremely irritating reality in this ROPA group, as well as a number of other ones that have the bulk of the string players working full-time in other fields. We are pretty isolated here and have little budget for mileage, so we have to rely on locals far too regularly. The intonation in my group is always a battle. Our principal oboist gives the brass and winds an "A" that is *in fact* 10 cents lower than the one for the strings and we have to take it. This is not our choice (if I seemed to imply that). It is a little unprofessional game between him and a few long-time "rivals". It drives me nuts as it makes everything harder than needed.

BTW - 10 cents is NOT a huge amount of pitch deviation. It is just where you can really discern the discrepancy. Check it. Read acoustic texts. Since a major third should be lowered seven cents in order to "color" it correctly, 3 more cents is pretty negligable. However, the 20 cents of flatness that we sometimes have to match almost makes me want to cry it is so far off.

Wade "feeling that he is being attacked when he is basically in agreement with you" Rackley

Follow Ups: