Re: Bari Sax

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 15, 2002 at 19:17:11:

In Reply to: Bari Sax posted by Tom on November 15, 2002 at 18:34:08:

Maybe the conductor is doing it to teach the bari sax player how to sound good and play in tune. Maybe you guys aren't as smooth and round as you think (we can't tell either of these by reading your post, heh, heh). Or, maybe it's an all-comers band and there's already a bari sax player. It just depends on the philosophy of the group. I used to play lots of double-bass parts in an amateur orchestra partly to build up the bottom (the group only had one bass player), and partly to give me something to do in a group that didn't have the horses to play the big tuba works. Community groups sometimes work that way.

If it happened in my band, I'd ask the conductor why, and if the explanation didn't persuade me, I'd complain to a board member. If they supported the conductor, I'd either live with it or quit, and if they supported me, the conductor would either live with it or quit. If there is no board, then skip that step, heh, heh.

One thing I wouldn't do: I would not bathe the bari sax player in bad vibes or personal animus. He's just following instructions. Deal with the decision maker.

Rick "who favors the straightforward approach most of the time" Denney

Follow Ups: