Re: Orchestra tuning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on November 15, 2002 at 13:28:59:

In Reply to: Orchestra tuning posted by Keith C. on November 15, 2002 at 10:42:47:

I've always found "D" to be a useful note to check against the "A". So, what I do is to try to find a perfect compromise between the first space "A", and the two "D"s surrounding it. Make sure your top line "A" isn't sounding flat, if you're going to playing up there early on in the performance (before the air in your horn has had a chance to get really warm). Conversely, make sure the low "A" below the staff isn't sharp either. As your horn gets warmer, a sharp low register will only get sharper, if anything. I've done this regardless of what pitch horn I'm using. Just a suggestion.

Keep this much in mind: As a performance rolls along, and the stage gets warmer and warmer (mostly from the lights), and everybody starts playing a bit louder, the pitch can often times begin to creep up. Experienced players know this, and they'll usually take measures to make sure that they're not letting their pitch creep ever upwards.

In my experience, in low register playing, it's better for bass instruments to be slightly on the low side than slightly on the high side (we're talking "slightly"). As you climb up into your upper register, you don't want to be flat - keep the pitch up, but don't go real sharp either. Use your ears - that's your best tool.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: