Re: Re: Re: Musica Steyr Austria thumbnails

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 14, 2002 at 04:45:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Musica Steyr Austria thumbnails posted by js on November 13, 2002 at 12:39:00:

[cross-posted to TubaEuph because of a relevant thread there]

Just tonight I held in my hands a valved Conn 88H which was part of a custom series for a college band in days of yore. It had a Conn baritone front-action valve cluster with a baritone leadpipe partly rebent to an acceptable shape, and a bow that connected the W-shaped tuning slide over the top, baritone-style, to a standard trombone screw connection. The bow was about 15" of tubing, and the W-shaped tuning slide did the rest. Beyond the screw-joint, it was a standard 88H bell section. One held it like a front-action baritone, and the trombone bell went up. I could find no way to hold it comfortably, and I didn't get a chance to blow notes on it. The bore was .547 as would be expected on any 88H.

And I borrowed (for doubling 'bone parts in a quintet for a couple of weeks) a King fleugelbone, which is an interesting instrument. The jury is still out for me, but the lack of a fourth valve would be a problem in general use. I plan to use it for high bone parts that need to sound like a trombone, and a euphonium for low parts that can sound like a euphonium. Fortunately, I don't think we have anything that requires both in the same tune, heh, heh.

Rick "who figures his trombone endurance is about five minutes" Denney

Follow Ups: