Re: Re: Musica Steyr Austria thumbnails

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on November 13, 2002 at 12:36:32:

In Reply to: Re: Musica Steyr Austria thumbnails posted by Rick Denney on November 13, 2002 at 11:41:29:

With all due respect: I do not think, that I was the one telling, that Musica - Steyr assembled Cerveny-made parts. That very well could have happened, but I do not know about it. Many European brass makers outsource the making of various parts. Among the old master-craftsman/owner-workshops along both sides of the Czech-German border were bell makers, valve makers, and mouthpiece makers. Samples of such workshops conglomerating into a larger units after WWII were/are B&S, Miraphone, and Amati-Cerveny-Denak. Reasons being being political pressure or market necessities.

What I, however, remember to have referred from a source was, that Musica - Steyr employed Czech craftsmen. Which turned up as being a conservative factor hindering modernisation of that factory. Not even US venture money (please read ‘Conn International’) could save it.

A younger Austrian master craftsman from the last period of Musica - Steyr opened his own workshop, Haagston, which can be found through the link given below. That site is not exactly elegant or user friendly. The least of its problems is, that it is only has German text.

Klaus

Follow Ups: