Re: Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 12, 2002 at 15:54:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner Tubas posted by Frank on November 12, 2002 at 14:15:07:

If I had lottery winnings burning a hole in my pocket, here are the instruments I'd consider:

1. 6/4 York converted to a front-action BBb tuba using a Nirschl (or similar) valveset.

2. Willson 3100 BBb, but I'd want more experimentation, and a solution to the ergonomics.

3. Gronitz PCK in BBb, which I've never tried.

4. Meinl-Weston Fafner, which I've never tried.

5. Holton 345 in BBb, which seem to be scarce as hen's teeth.

6. Conn 36J

I'd also have my current instrument carefully overhauled (not that it needs that much), and silver plated. And if one could be found, I'd experiment with a Grand Rapids York bell stack on that instrument.

I've never really liked the sound of Hirsbrunner BBb tubas, or I suppose I should say I've never really liked the sound of people who play such instruments. But they were better than me, so I don't think I could expect to sound better.

Several of my options would be in the Hirsbrunner price range, but I think would fit my ideal more closely. If I could have a Yorkbrunner in Bb, though, I'd consider it.

I'd also get a big F tuba to go with my small one, and the ones I like at the moment are the Miraphone 181 or the Willson.

I might also hire a sufficiently skilled burglar to fetch a particular instrument in Eugene, or see if I could find the proper pieces to have it reproduced.

I'd definitely take an extended vacation to Washington State and let Daryl Hickman teach me how to turn dents into smooth rather than rippled brass.

Rick "who would also spend much more time practicing" Denney

Follow Ups: