Re: WANTED: Used Tuba for Beginner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on November 11, 2002 at 15:58:29:

In Reply to: WANTED: Used Tuba for Beginner posted by Dave on November 11, 2002 at 13:30:35:

How cheap do you want to go?

From my looking around, I think the cheapest playable (not beautiful) horn you will find will be a 3 valve Eb Sousaphone, for instance, a Conn 26J. They seem to show up in playable condition from time to time in the range of $200 to $500 and a decent one actually plays pretty well. I have one and I like it.

For your requirement of lowest pitched, you should look for a used BBb. I've been perusing the sales looking at Conn 10J's and I think you could find one in (again) playable but not beautiful condition for under $1000. You also might find a good? Yamaha YBB103 or YBB105 for around $1000.

Unless you luck out and somone virtually gives one away, I doubt you will find a playable horn for much less. Most of the BBb's I've seen going for less appear to need enough work to bring the asking price up into the $1000 range.

Be careful not to buy a real beater with shot valves. You don't want to handicap a beginner with bad equipment.

Good luck

Follow Ups: