tenor tuba part for Don Quixote

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Erickson on November 09, 2002 at 13:39:21:

The part I have for DonQuixote is marked "Tenor Tuba in C". Do I need to transpose it to play it on a Bb euphonium? I thought that bass clef never required transposition, but then again, why would the composer specify the key of the instrument? My first note, in
section three is a concert F sharp, is that correct?

Is there recording of this that will provide a good example of interpretation? I am working on this as an audition piece, and have never played the part with band or orchestra. It is a wonderful part; the muted passages are a lot of fun, it has some great intervals and moves along at a good clip.

Is a straight mute appropriate?

Towards the end of the part there are some syncopated riffs, that I keep stumbling over (I'm trying this at a tempo of 96, and sixteenth note syncopation is involved). I think I have to develop a feel for them, so a recording would definitely help. What tempo is the section from reh. number 69 thru 71? The dynamics markings leading up to
that section are (starting back at 63: tempo 1 (96)=> schnell => viel brieter => bein ahe doppelt so langsam)?

-Dave

Follow Ups: