Re: being a pro.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham W. on November 07, 2002 at 00:53:01:

In Reply to: being a pro. posted by Considering on November 06, 2002 at 16:01:54:

Well, I never considered doing a lot of things in music had someone not suggested them to me (trying out for district honor band, all-state, etc.). Only after junior year in high school when I made third chair in the all-state band on what I thought was a sub-par audition, I decided to pursue music further. It made me realize that whatever I was doing, I was doing it pretty decently. It seemed pretty easy and I enjoyed doing it.

The following summer, I tricked...er..convinced my parents to get me a CB-50. I studied at a nearby Georgia university (okay, so much for anonymity) over the summer and learned the CC fingerings, yada yada. I am double majoring now and even though I have absolutely no free time, I love it!

If you are unsure about which path to take, take both! If you cannot enjoy practicing on your own, that would certainly be a very rocky path. I just enjoying making music in the practice room. I love opening up books of lyrical studies and just making them sing. My suggestion to you is to get a private teacher and work on some solos. Make music. It isn't your responsibility to be a musician. It's not mine either. I'll perhaps know a little farther down the road.

As far as regret, you'll probably regret whatever you don't do. It just happens that way. You may be happier in one specific trade, but you'll never know until you subject yourself further. I've decided that for myself I could be any number of things for a career and be perfectly happy. Maybe you are the same way. Do some more thinking and join more ensembles. If it isn't your thing, you'll know.

Graham "who still may transfer from a liberal arts school to a wonderful music school" W.

Follow Ups: