Re: Perspective

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on November 06, 2002 at 18:51:20:

In Reply to: Perspective posted by Downsized on November 05, 2002 at 17:34:58:

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was laid off in March, and I finally got back to work in mid-September. Please feel free to E-Mail me privately; depending on your line of work, I may have learned some useful information during my own search.

I remember a discussion I had with an English teacher after I wrote a term paper on pre-historic music. It was her contention that music was something that early man could not consider "until the belly is full and the wolf chased away from the door." I disagreed then, as now, citing the power of music like the spirituals sung by slaves, the blues, and even good ol' cryin' in your beer C & W.

But I, like you, did NOT really feel like playing, and I didn't. I sang a lot more, did more volunteer work, but I didn't play for six months. I wish I had; in hindsight I think I would have benefited from it (emotionally more than musically). But if you don't play, find something you can do pretty much every day to feel a sense of accomplishment. I turned my excess time and energy into gardening and fixing up the house, and it really boosted my self-confidence when I was able to see the progress. As it turns out, it should also help us get the house sold, as I HAVE had to relocate - as someone here mentioned - to a part of the world I had never considered. Don't let the sun go down on a day when you have nothing to be proud of!

Best wishes and God's blessings,

Joe Baker, who has discovered that Eastern Tennessee is a great place to live.

Follow Ups: