Re: Euphonium Opinions PLEASE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GP on November 06, 2002 at 11:33:50:

In Reply to: Euphonium Opinions PLEASE posted by John on November 06, 2002 at 01:32:36:

The Bessons are real nice. The quality control problems are getting under control. The 967 sounds like a nice Besson. The Prestige sounds more like a Willson 2950. I don't think the 2900 has a vibrant sound. It is my opinion that it wounds kind of flat, and I'm not talking pitch, I'm talking the core of the sound.

When you buy a horn, take advantage of the warranty. Mark on your calendar when the warranty is up and take note of every little thing that is wrong with the horn. Be nit-picky. When that date gets close, send the horn in and get all that stuff taken care of. I'd also tell them that you want faster valves... that you aren't satisfied with them. This way, you'll get some work done for "free" and the horn will be well broken in.

By the way, I don't like the Willson euphs. I owned one for 5 years and got a Besson. The Besson fit me as a player, but doesn't necessarily fit you. You need to find a horn that sounds good for you. I know guys who sound like ass on the Bessons, and sound good on Willsons. Same for Hirsbrunners. I dislike those horns even more. You have a certain physical make-up that will be better for one horn or another. Try them out, and if you can't decide, bring someone to listen to you. Take a good long look and make a decision you are happy with.

Follow Ups: