Re: Re: Re: Re: does marching band messup your sound?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on November 04, 2002 at 12:05:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: does marching band messup your sound? posted by Brendan on November 04, 2002 at 02:55:19:

Did marching band hurt my sound?

Well, I think that depends. When I was in Jr High and High school, the town's concept of tuba instruction was to have a really fine gentleman and former tuba player sit with me and help me through the basic Rubank. That was it - one day I could march in a parade and was sort of declared graduated. I think that was the end of my formal tuba education. Not to take anything whatsoever away from the super guy who got me started, that was just how things were in the early 50's.

For some reason I stuck with it and played in marching band (what else was there?) through college and afterwards with VFW band etc.

In the last couple of years I've gotten the bug, restarted and begun studying pretty seriously.

So what's the point? Namely that without marching band a lot of people (like me)wouldn't have ANY sound because they wouldn't be playing the tuba. I certainly understand the points about ensemble sense etc that have been made and I agree with them, but in the end, whether someone's sound is hurt or not I think is more a function of the individual's musical sense than of whether he/she plays marching band or concert band or both.

Frankly, I think that if you're musically aware enough to ask the question, you're probably musically aware enough to enjoy each for what it's worth and make the answer be NO!

FWIW I think it's up to the individual more than what kind of band you play in.

Follow Ups: