Besson CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Cattanach on November 03, 2002 at 10:22:12:

I had some time with the Besson CC prototype this weekend, and just thought I'd let you know what I thought, as I seem to remember there being some interest on this board!

The chance came around via Gerard Booth, Tuba player with Versatile Brass, who had been given the instrument for his opinion by Gavin Woods, a Besson clinician (and "Travelling by Tuba" player). Both very fine tubists, they are predominantly EEb players, so my take (as a BBb player) might be slightly different.

Initially, the instrument is VERY well made, and extremely comfortable to play compared to other front action tubas I've experienced. This one is 4 pistons and a 5th rotary on the thumb. I think tuning is good for a non compensating instrument, but everything was at hand to adjust easily if needed. After some time playing around, the sound this tuba can produce is great! I was using my Mike Finn 3, but Gerard uses a 24AW. He tried the MF3, and there was a noticeable difference in sound, although each to their own! All down to taste, obviously.

Tha tuba is amazingly free blowing, and clear through all registers, with a sound I wish I could get out of my Besson 992, which I consider to be the best Besson BBb I've played (out of about 30, New Standard through to 994GS). After the CC, it felt like there was something stuffed down the bell! Tuba envy has definatley set in!

Unfortunately, I don't know when it will be produced, although I personally don't think it needs much more work, if any. I hope some of you get the chance to try one sometime!

Andy Cattanach, UK.

Follow Ups: