Re: Re: Re: Re-writing music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 02, 2002 at 12:26:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re-writing music posted by Steve Marcus on November 02, 2002 at 07:47:00:

Some background first . . .

I do NOT use any kind of keyboard or MIDI device. At some point in the future I will do so, but I learned without one and work just fine without one. I started with Finale 3.5 (from '96 or '97) on an old Mac laptop. It sounds as though you have version 3.5 or 3.7, both of which have free updaters that you can download from the website. (http://www.codamusic.com/)

[Register your software there if you have not already done so. Then you can get the upgrade price to Finale 2003 (or 2001, if your computer can't use 2003). It is a totally different and improved application since the 3.x series and I would highly recommend it as your next Birthday present. Finale 3.5 is going to take more time to learn.]

When I started with Finale, I used the first few tutorials and then took off on my own that first day. Many of the tutorials were aimed at using MIDI devices and I had none, so that sped things up a bit. I learned to do everything using the slowest method of note entry, called "Simple Entry" (totally manual point-and-click stuff). Man! There were lots of tools on the screen and page layout was really a bit mysterious, but each little thing I did became easier to do and looked more like what I had in mind.

When I upgraded to Finale 2001, I had a short readjustment period before I got quick again. The biggest difference was in the method of page layout: it was totally different. Everything had been simplified as much as possible while still giving the user a huge amount of control over the look of the finished product.

From what I hear, Finale used to be totally cumbersome to use, but gave the best results. The other popular notation program at the time was Encore, which was a snap to use but looked pretty mediocre. Finale is trying hard to keep the output at a pro level while making it less intimidating for the user.

Since 2000, all of the tutorials still come in a book, but are also on the CD, as well as the entire User Guide and a sweet series of video Quick Start tutorials. As hard as it is to use, you can't miss with all of that information on the CD. The videos cover a wide range of problems and exercises. The PDF User Guide is very helpful as well. Nothing about the application is "hard" - there is just a lot to remember. The guide files help with that.

You should start by entering something short, but hand written or in bad physical shape. When you finally finish and print it, you will wonder why you waited so long to learn to use this software; it is gratifying to "rescue" old cruddy parts. And having the application play your work back to you is really a great aid in catching mistakes!

You will need a week of evenings (2 or 3 hours per night) if you are comfortable with your computer. But if you only use your computer to surf the web you might need another week or so. Keyboard and MIDI setup are a bit of a pain - get a friend to help and explain it to you. Installation is really easy. Use the video Quick Start files and life will be good.

Have fun!

Wade

P.S. - If you use a Mac, starting with 2001 you MUST have a Power PC CPU; Finale 2000 was the last version to have an install option of PPC, 68K, or FAT versions. And Finale 2000 is no longer available legally from Coda Music. (Catch 22!)

Follow Ups: