Re: Re: Re: Re: Low Db

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 30, 2001 at 09:33:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Low Db posted by js on November 30, 2001 at 00:45:49:

I too have heard the stories of the great false tones on these Yorks and York copies. Floyd Cooley advised me when I bought his Nirschl that he used the false tone all the time, instead of the regular tones that are readily available (the horn has 5 valves). While I haven't played either of the CSO Yorks, my Nirschl does have okay false tones (better than most tubas I've played) but these notes are still not nearly as good as my normal 5 valve fingerings. Of course, both Floyd and Arnold used much smaller mouthpieces on their horns than I do. Both used something like a Conn-Helleberg 7B, as I understand it. I don't know what Gene is using right now but I've heard a rumor he's using the same Laskey 30H that I'm using. I wonder if he's having the same experience I am with the false tones.

I've heard a lot of talk about how practicing false tones will make you a better player. This is something I've never done myself and I'd like to hear an explanation as to why this practice might benefit one's playing. Any ideas anyone?

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: