Re: Re: Re: Improvement to Miraphone 1290/1295 CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on November 29, 2001 at 22:35:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Improvement to Miraphone 1290/1295 CC posted by Answer Man on November 29, 2001 at 18:00:35:

I've heard that the way Mercedes gets the "quality" into the car is to test each one after it's finished and keep fixing stuff until it's perfect because their manufacturing processes are not that consistent.

In contrast, the Japanese keep fixing the manufacturing process until no post manufacturing testing is required.

Could this be the source of some of the famous "inconsistencies" we hear about among German horns that are ostensibly the same make and model etc? And also, the "test and rework the quality in" approach opens the door to "escapes" where sub-par product makes it out the door.

I don't have a lot of experience with German (or other European) manufacturing except as an end user (for almost 40 years) of go-fast sporty German cars from either Stuttgart or Munich, and they have all needed a bunch of trips to the dealer to get all the niggling little problems out. I have on the other hand had a lot of direct involvement with Japanese manufacturing and have watched them tweak the process endlessly until the final inspection defect rate drops to less than nothing.

I'd still rather drive a German sporty car for what it's worth.

Tuba related - I have an Alex and I really like it, but I think the quality control guys who check finish etc were having a bad day or were trying to punish me for preferring a lacquered finish to raw brass. Looks great from a distance, but it would never in a million years have gotten out the door of a Japanese factory. But it does sound great!

Follow Ups: