Re: MUSIC STORES AND BAND DIRECTORS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LV on November 29, 2001 at 17:57:36:

In Reply to: MUSIC STORES AND BAND DIRECTORS posted by js on November 29, 2001 at 16:24:35:

Joe,

One guy I went to undergrad with here in Detroit told me he worked out an arrangement with a local store to get about $4000 worth of trumpets by double billing for repairs. The district was somewhat poor and wasn't paying a stipend. They did make a commitment to get their instruments in some semblance of working order to try to grow the program.

I think he told me this to get my approval or something (to ease his guilty conscience?). He was 5 or 6 years older than me and I kind of looked up to him. He was a minister of music and talked about being "born again" all the time. I was horrified when he told me this "plan" and I really struggled with going to his employer. In the end I didn't. It was a real eye opener for me in several ways.

I know teaching band is sometimes a thankless job, as I once taught grades 5-12 instrumental music. The problem with this kind of behavior is that it is a slippery slope and once something like this seems all right to you, what are you willing to do next.

My 2 cents,

LV

Follow Ups: