Re: Musica Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim G on November 29, 2001 at 12:48:48:

In Reply to: Musica Tuba posted by Steve Jones on November 28, 2001 at 19:53:42:

I play one of these as my primary horn. It indeed does have a very tall bell stack (makes it a little wobbly to stand on the bell). Mine is a 5 valve CC 4/4 size. The intonation is almost flawless. Overall the horn tends to blow sharp, so most of the slides are pulled out more than halfway, but it really sings. Upper register is sweet and easy to lock in. The lower register is distinctly German and really projects. With the tall bell, I have to be more conscious of volume because it is not right by my ear. If you get one, get a soft case for it as the hard case is well built, but huge and will require a full size pickup or van to carry it. When I bought it, it had duct tape on the inside of the bell to dampen the sound slightly. Since then, the tape has gone and been replaced with Monsterweight valve caps. I am only using 3 of the Monsterweights (5, 1, 2) since I felt that all 4 deadened the sound. When I want a brighter sound, I'll remove 1 more. I am using a B&S #52 mouthpiece that really suits the horns sound quite well.
Jim G

Follow Ups: