Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver plating......a Mel Culbertson 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 29, 2001 at 10:11:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver plating......a Mel Culbertson 6/4 posted by Dennis Hale on November 29, 2001 at 08:50:58:

To strip it, they'll dip it in a stripping vat. They might scrub it with a brush, but that should not be so stiff as to scratch the brass.

I would ask the repair guy to do a color buff only (which uses only rouge) before plating. That will put a high polish on any parts that are dulled by the stripper. If you have scratches that you don't know you have, they will still be there. But you still won't know you have them unless you look at the instrument more critically after plating than before. That you should not do. The silver will not cover up any imperfections, and in some cases will highlight them.

When I had my Miraphone overhauled, I asked the repair guy to do as little buffing as possible to avoid removing metal unnecessarily. It actually lowered the cost considerably, because it told him I didn't want the instrument to look brand new when he was done. If your instrument looks brand new now, then it should not require buffing with fast-cutting compound like tripoli. But a lot of repair guys will do it out of habit, so talk to him about it.

Rick "thinking good communication is the basis of met expectations" Denney

Follow Ups: