Re: National Guard Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on November 29, 2001 at 09:51:09:

In Reply to: National Guard Bands posted by Arnold S. Gottlieb on November 28, 2001 at 18:01:46:

Did my six in the 63rd Army Band in Haddonfield/Camden NJ, '64 to '70. I had a great experience, but the 63rd was unusual. We were a half strength Army Band detached for service with the NJNG. I was told the arrangement was a result of political clout or savvy by the CO. The year I joined, the CO got us appointed the post band for the New Jersey AR/NG Officer School at Sea Girt, NJ. Woodrow Wilsons summer white house -- on the beach. As I said, a great experience, even the revielle parades (yes, parades).

OTOH, the division band was headquartered in Newark (I believe) and had a hard time doing complete rehearsals, because band members would get yanked to wash tanks and other such musical duties. 8^)

So, if you want to join the Guard, say to get your tuition paid, and you want to have something musical involved, check out the unit carefully.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BELIEVE THE RECRUITING OFFICER WITHOUT INDEPENDENT CORROBORATION. If at all possible, talk to some of the members before you sign up. Once you're sworn in, you are in for the duration.

BTW, the reason the 63rd was available for the Guard, I was told, was that the original 63rd was wiped out in Korea. Playing a morale concert 3 miles behind the front and the front moved 5 miles in the wrong direction. Bummer. Mad me stop and think about the usefulness of a large brass sousaphone in such a situation.

Good Luck, whatever your decision.
John (Principle Tuba of the Harvard Town Band, by default) Breyer

Follow Ups: