Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver plating......a Mel Culbertson 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on November 28, 2001 at 23:37:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver plating......a Mel Culbertson 6/4 posted by David on November 28, 2001 at 18:35:41:

Having done my share of buffing tubas using the traditional method of tripoli followed by red rouge, it is possible to put a very fine finish on the instrument without a significant metal loss. Anyone who does tubas very often knows how to do this. If you as the customer want to make sure, put on a face mask, sign a waiver of responsibility releasing the store of any liability(try your hand at buffing a big horn sometime and you'll understand why I put that in!!!),and stand by while the thing is buffed.

My experience has been that while most customers ask that the instrument only be polished without taking out scratches that that is not what he/she really wants. Most want all the scratches to go away and the only way is to buff a little harder in that place.

Be aware that bright silver plating will emphasize the scratches and not make them go away.

I still say that if you want to have it silver plated to GO FOR IT!!!!

Follow Ups: