Re: Re: Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gray Bach on November 27, 2001 at 20:09:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Gross injustices posted by E. Oliver on November 26, 2001 at 23:39:47:

I appreciate your reply. Just so you know, I'm not at all as bitter as I seem. I am actually happier than I've been in a long time. I am more disappointed at the fact that when I was recruited, (Yes, this is VERY naive), all the teachers were extremely nice and acted liked they cared about me, but when I got there, it was totally different. It was like, "We've got you here, so screw you."

I also had a problem with the way teachers treated people. It was as if they thought they owned the world and could act any way they wanted because of their position. Other teachers even supported them in this. I was talking to a teacher outside of the school about this one time, and he said, "He may be an a**hole, but he's good at what he does, so let it go." I may be idealistic, but I would think that the human side of things would be a consideration rate in hiring. My former school was actually PROUD of their over 50% attrition rate. They called it weeding out, but in reality the people that left weren't the weak ones in academics or playing, they were the ones that looked to get treated better.

I think that in college, "academic or performance freedom" lets teachers get away with a lot of things their colleagues in the public school system would not think of doing. My mom is a teacher, and she would be immediately fired for doing some of the things I saw done. I think musicians need to rethink they way they act and treat people. You can be confident enough to hold a job without being grossly arrogant, and I just think that musicians would number a lot more and be accepted a lot more if they did not behave as though they were superior to the whole world.

Gray Bach

Follow Ups: