Re: off topic - help me select a trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin H. on November 27, 2001 at 17:48:49:

In Reply to: off topic - help me select a trombone posted by Kenneth Sloan on November 27, 2001 at 01:43:00:

Well, if you've got serious cash, I would reccommend a Shires or an Edwards. You can get a shires (custom/hand made) with a detachable bell and completely detachable everything, thayer valve and choice of bells for about $2900. On the edwards, you can go to their site http://www.edwards-instruments.com and customize one and get a quote. You could also get a thayer valve getzen (same company as edwards) if you don't have ALOT of money lying around. I know couple trombonists that were in my all state band that had getzens with thayers and seemed to absolutely love them. I think they come with 3 detachable lead pipes (as do edwards and shires I think). One had a Edwards with a thayer and from what I hear it was a little bit better than the getzens (but more expensive, of course) I would STRONGLY reccommend the Thayer valve...I've got a thayer valve bass trombone and am LOVING it.(mine is a bach). However, your son might not be ready to take the responsibility of having a "professional" trombone, although he seems to be about the same age as me (I'm 15). If you want a bach with a thayer, you have to put it on backorder for about a year before you finally get it (or at least you did when I was "in the market" a year ago when I got mine). I would reccommend a yellow brass bell if he mainly does large ensemble playing, or a gold or rose brass bell if he wants to do more jazz (if you got a shires, you could get both and switch). If you don't have quite as much cash, a bach 42BO would also be a great choice, as it seems to be quite popular these days. I would go to http://www.dillonmusic.com and check out some of their used trombones. That's where I got mine and I got a great deal on my bach. Good luck,

Austin

Follow Ups: