Re: Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on November 27, 2001 at 09:23:45:

In Reply to: Re: Gross injustices posted by Gray Bach on November 26, 2001 at 17:26:21:

Your story reminds me of the _one_ year I played in Albany Symphony before I went back to school to get a saner degree. Half the orchestra was trying to get the conductor fired, and the other half was trying to retain him. If you didn't choose a side, you were assigned a side, and then the other half the orchestra didn't speak to you.

In colleges, the faculty bickering you refer to is just about norm, I think, although it sounds like it was at a high level at your school. It also exists in high schools. The type of person who reaches the PhD level and then gets tenure tends to be more focused and high strung than the type who goes out into the working world with a BA. Most musicians have personalities quite different from most technical types, too. Especially some of those who have had to force themselves to be successful at performing, often have had to adopt an attitude that is somewhat exclusive. Too bad, but maybe it was the only route that worked.

In any case, I'm glad you're happy at the tech school, and I think you'll find that you like the people you work with better than you would have liked working with professional artist types. I know I do better working with toys than with personalities. I think the crossover with technical types and music is the toys aspect....and tubas are great toys, aren't they??

Follow Ups: