Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jane on November 26, 2001 at 10:29:31:

In Reply to: Gross injustices posted by College Professor on November 25, 2001 at 19:48:02:

Gee, I don't remember the English majors having to read their poetry in front of an audience of their peers on a monthly basis. Nor did the history majors have to pay to go to museums a certain number of times each quarter. Nor did the phy ed majors have to pay extra for coaching. Being a music major wasn't all that much fun, especially for the marginal performers at a highly competitive school. My major was in composition, but I was required to SING (eep!) in a recital each quarter. Cleared the place out in a hurry, let me tell you. When I asked if I could put together an ensemble to play some of my works instead, I was told that it didn't meet the criteria for a recital (which evidently involves public humiliation and military-grade psychological torture). Don't get me wrong, I loved college, but I didn't care for some of the policies.

My son wants to be a music major, but he still has a year to decide. I almost hope he doesn't do it. As another thread went on, just how many jobs are there for professional tubists/tubaists (let's not get started on THAT one again)? I would do it differently if I had it to do again.

Follow Ups: