Re: Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on November 26, 2001 at 10:22:09:

In Reply to: Re: Gross injustices posted by Matt Walters on November 25, 2001 at 20:52:57:

Matt,
Just an observation here. I was in college long ago (late 60's), when there were two curricula which required more than four years. One was a B.M.E. (B. Music Ed.) and the other was architecture.
Now, however, I have two daughters who are 21 and are attending the same institution. I am informed by them that the 4 year model of college education has gone pretty much by the boards as far as students are concerned. Many of them, regardless of their field, don't expect to graduate in four years, and frankly, the scheduling of the cycles in which some courses are offered seems to make it difficult for those who see four years as the target.
Here in Louisiana, we have an excellent scholarship program which pays tuition at any state college/univ. for a high school graduate with not-too-difficult qualifying academic standards.
However, it is FOUR years worth. One of my daughters, having changed majors once (with our blessing) is going to run up a year or two short on that.
I'm not for a scholarship-for-perpetuity, but I am for realistic scholarships, particularly where the students are doing something significant in return, as in the case of band scholarships. The student plays/marches, etc., and is doing something for hte university while learning. As long as that student continues to be there doing what the unviersity needs, it seems to me that the scholarships ought to be there, too, at least for the normally expected term of study for that degree. If it's a five year program at a reasonable fulltime academic load, seems that the scholarship ought to last that long as well.
I don't think that ought to apply to those who just carry a minimal academic load - just enought oqualify as fulltime, so they can stretch out their schooling, though.

Follow Ups: