Re: Re: how many? (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on November 24, 2001 at 15:09:48:

In Reply to: Re: how many? (long) posted by lisa on November 23, 2001 at 19:22:50:

I think that this is a great posting. People should study in college what their heart tells them is right. Too many people go to college thinking of it as a vocational school. I think that people should go to learn as much as they can about something that they love. Picking a major based on how many jobs there are, or what they would pay when you graduate is not being true to yourself. As someone else said, there are often more people graduating in a field than there are jobs. I chose a career in computers beacuse I loved using them since the mid-60's. I have been fortunate that through most of my career there have been more positions than people seeking them, but that's not why I chose the field. I have also worked for and with people with degrees in French, History, Philosophy, and Music. So a college major isn't the final determination of the rest of your life.

I also agree that High School is too soon to decide if you have the desire or talent to pursue a career in music. I find that people don't take the time to dedicate to their craft until college. I believe that college should be a time to develop your ability to learn and to explore those subjects in which you have always had an interest. If you can't earn a living doing exactly what you studied once you graduate, there is time to find things at which you can earn a living, but you have to be true to yourself first.

That's why I am paying Ivy League tuition to send my Daughter to college to study art. Will she ever earn enough as an artist to pay for 4 years tuition and expense? I don't know, but I want her to at least try if that is what she wants.

I have a Sister who is a professional French Horn player, with a Master's degree in French Horn performance. She is now in her early 40s and has just been able to get by on what she earns from playing in a number of part time gigs and teaching. She will never be wealthy, but she is pursuing her dream.
Are there too many tuba players? I think not. I believe that there are just the right number of tuba players as long as everyone who is playing tuba, either professionally or not, is doing it out of love for it.

Follow Ups: