Re: Re: What is it about Tuba players?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 21, 2001 at 11:52:33:

In Reply to: Re: What is it about Tuba players? posted by Dale on November 21, 2001 at 11:02:22:

Dale, I agree with much of what you say. But the notion that all pros run from this forum because of the activities therein don't necessarily follow. It may be that pros are as well represented here as tuba players in general. After all, there are not many tuba players who put food on the table with their tuba playing.

I'm a traffic engineer who would be considered a silverback in my line of work. Yet I don't hang around the forums that discuss traffic engineering. Why? Because that's work, and this is play. I already spend vast amounts of time writing, reading, speaking, and listening to others on the topic of my profession, and the tuba provides much-needed relief from that. I'm sure many pros are in the same boat.

But it's more likely that some people like Internet forums, and most do not. We have some pros here, but most pros are not here. I'd suspect that most non-pro tuba players are also not here.

Of course, tuba players can be catty and immature in all the same ways that any mortal person can be catty and immature, and this is true at all levels of ability. But it is also true that we share things other musicians don't always share.

My hobbies tend to be similar to those of lots of people. They include photography, music, endurance sports, bicycles, and so on. But I think I approach them all in the same sorts of ways, and those approaches are a lot like those of other tuba players, far more than they are like other photographers or endurance athletes.

Rick "noting the difference between 'unique' and 'good'" Denney

Follow Ups: