Re: Re: Journal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on November 20, 2001 at 11:51:22:

In Reply to: Re: Journal posted by Paul Scott on November 18, 2001 at 20:35:37:

The works by Dr. Holmes were titled "Tales of the Cultural Revolution" and featured some especially cool writing for the tuba soloist. The BQ arrangement was premiered by the Menlo Brass (as I recall) ... we heard Jerry Olson perform it in Arcada CA that summer at HSU's annual brass chamber music workshop. I believe the band version was premiered by the Ohlone Wind Symphony (Phil Z. or Tony C. would be able to confirm perhaps?) I've never heard the duet performed, but would expect it to be quite interesting, Brian writes well....there was also an orchestral version which was manuscript only and never got around to being published, explanation follows...
Dr. Holmes teaches horn and is also a Physics Professor at San Jose State University in California, while I was there the SJS Symphony was rehearsing his orchestral version of "Tales" when the Tienamin Square confrontation took place, obviously we were forced to shelve the work as unsuitable for public performance. Even back then "PC" was awful important in public colleges in CA.

Dr. Holmes can also be contacted :

Dr. Brian Holmes,
c/o School of Music
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose CA 95112

hope this helps --- Dale Phelps

Follow Ups: