Re: Re: Re: Re: Sightreading

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CLiff on November 15, 2001 at 20:51:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Sightreading posted by art H on November 15, 2001 at 20:07:22:

Art, you're right on about having to sight-read every day. Also about it needing to be in a group. I'm a HS band director, and believe or not, we read a new piece EVERY day in concert season. Honest, I'm not exxagerrating. What a finiancal investment, because I never sight-read the same piece more than once in a four-year cycle. And I'll only very occasionally perform a piece more than once (kids, audience really like it, that kind of thing). I belive that kids learn more by being exposed to lots of music, rather than playing 10-15 pieces over a four-year career. There is something to be said for honing a piece of music to perfection (which I do somewhat for contest). I know that i've strayed far off the topic, and I didn't mean to turn this into a band director therapy session. The important thing is that you should PLAY, PLAY, and PLAY some more of all different kinds of music. Man, I talk to much. Yawl are probably glad I don't post very often

Cliff

Follow Ups: