Re: Practicing Highnotes with a Trumpet MP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on November 14, 2001 at 10:27:48:

In Reply to: Practicing Highnotes with a Trumpet MP posted by Tracy H. on November 13, 2001 at 22:22:51:

I've had the same effect: I own both a regular double (french) horn and an F alto (french) horn. The F alto is 1/2 the tubing length of the regular F horn on the double, and the high notes are a whole lot easier to play. When my high notes start to "go away" on the double, I spend some time on the F alto, and I get them back again. I think what is happening is that you "train" your embouchure to hit the high notes under conditions that are not as difficult, and then when you go back to more difficult conditions (more resistance, larger mpc) it "remembers" better what to do. And you get the effect that you just got.

I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time on the trumpet though, because the mouthpiece size and resulting embouchure are so different. But I also see nothing wrong with using the trumpet as a training device, as long as it works. I realize others will have adament opposite opinions.

Follow Ups: